- Making More Sense of the Limited Certiorari Grant in NYS Rifle & Pistol Association v. Corlett
- The U.S. Supreme Court is declining to take up a challenge to Maryland’s ban on bump stocks and similar devices. That means the ban will stand. For now.
- “Slate” still getting it wrong.
- NRA-backed litigation report
- More federal gun control proposed
- Restoring Second Amendment Rights: Incrementalism vs All or Nothing. Read it.
- Today’s expected DOJ action on guns
Saying the evidentiary record clearly demonstrates that NRA Head Wayne LaPierre has repeatedly “failed to provide proper oversight” a lawyer in the United States Trustee’s Office, the section of the Justice Department responsible for the integrity of the nation’s bankruptcy courts, surprised the NRA leadership and lawyers during closing remarks of the NRA’s bankruptcy hearing in Texas yesterday. The lawyer for the Trustee’s Office said the “record is unrefuted that Wayne LaPierre’s personal expenses were made to look like businesses expenses” before calling for either the dismissal of the entire bankruptcy proceeding or the appointment of an outside monitor to oversee the NRA’s finances. Presiding Judge Harlan D. Hale says he will announce his decision by early next week.
U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV)
More on Biden ATF nominee David Chipman:
- Biden ATF nominee made questionable statements about suppressors, automatic weapons [yahoo! news]
- Open Letter to Sen. Grassley on David Chipman’s ATF Director Nomination [AmmoLand]
“The Post and Courier,” a Columbia, SC “news”paper, tried to link a shooting as being caused by a court’s pro-gun ruling issued just minutes earlier.
Department of Idiocy
- Actual headline: “Customer beating man with gun at bar accidentally kills own relative.” You can’t make this stuff up.
- U.S. Marines & Japanese Military Training Together. Perhaps not the brightest idea.
- Don’t be an idiot. Or if you are, please go join the other side and work for them.
The Only Ones
Follow-up to our April 16 report: Pentagon Force Protection Agency officer David Dixon was indicted by a Maryland grand jury last week on multiple charges of murder, attempted murder, assault and other crimes in two separate incidents.
Duluth, MN police officer Tyler Leibfried has been criminally charged with two felony charges – intentional and reckless discharge of a firearm – in the shooting an unarmed man through the door of a downtown apartment last fall. Leibfried, a 5-year employee, also has records of previous problems with mishandling his patrol car and negligent discharge of his issue rifle.
An unidentified Army soldier armed with a rifle who “escaped” from Ft. Jackson, SC, carjacked a school bus full of elementary children this week. No injuries.
A disgruntled fired employee went on a shooting attack at a tribal casino in Green Bay, WI, last weekend, killing two and wounding one. Gun free zone. The perp was then killed by officers responding with… guns. The Oneida Nation, owners of the casino, is apparently now considering more gun control there since it worked so well.dl-file.php
The Armed Citizens’ Legal Defense Network and Rangemaster May newsletters are out.2021-05_RFTS-Newsletter
Jackson reportedly has a shortage of 911 operators, causing delays in responding to calls. Not that the service rendered to answered calls is all that great anyway.
The NSSF reports that April 2021, while down from March, experienced the most gun sales of any April on record, with nearly 1.7 million background checks on gun sales. That is about 1% up from the previous April record set last year. Current sales are probably depressed a bit due to lack of guns/ammo to sell.
About the other side
- Even in a Constitutional Carry State, a Concealed Carry Permit is Still a Very Good Idea
- Self defense with shotguns: Buckshot vs. slugs*
*We note some statistical and assumption errors therein, which may be negligible to the outcome.
Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use
- Fourth Edition, 2021 (.pdf)
New competition record shot
More public lands available
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has announced a proposal for new or expanded hunting and sport fishing opportunities for game species across 2.1 million acres at 90 national wildlife refuges and on the lands of one national fish hatchery. That will be the largest such expansion to date. The FWS plans to have the proposed changes ready for the upcoming 2021-2022 hunting seasons.
Grand Canyon Bison
Remember that announcement about the Grand Canyon National Park officials wanting a dozen skilled volunteers to kill bison within the park? They got more than 45,000 applicants during the 48-hour application window.
Good article on making pistol shotshells
“I’m the only guy I know who’s hunted quail in his basement.”
(FWIW, just get some centerfire pistol shot loads instead. – JP)
Quad loading a shotgun. Video. Wow.
Rangemaster’s Tac Con 2022
Tac Con 2022 is scheduled for March 25-27, 2022 at the Dallas Pistol Club, and registration is now open and will fill up fast. I believe registration is nonrefundable.
Unintentional, non-negligent discharge report
- Smith & Wesson has announced that it is selling off the Thompson/Center Arms brand which will allow them to shift production capacity to the S&W line where sales are booming.
- Remington’s New Owners Answer Our Questions
- Update on the Ruger Marlins
Great tech article about the Federal Hydrashok Deep ammo
Olight has a cool combination ink pen with separable USB rechargeable flashlight. 110 lumens, $50.
Interesting “quad” shooting sticks. Cost more than a rifle. I bet you could make some for cheap.
Then there’s the Bushnell Tactical Tripod Kit Bundle, also pricey but on sale.
Anybody need 12 ga. buckshot? $1 a round.
Beretta USA has is now importing Manurhin revolvers made by French company Chapuis Armes.
Winchester’s new limited-edition military-inspired USA VALOR line of ammunition is now available in 9mm (124 gr. FMJ at 1200 fps), 5.56mm (62 gr. FMJ green tip at 3060 fps), and 12-gauge (2.75″ 00 buckshot at 1325 fps). Every purchase of Winchester USA VALOR ammunition helps support Folds of Honor, a U.S. veteran’s cause dedicated to honoring the sacrifice of America’s heroes while giving hope to the bearers of their legacy in the form of educational scholarships.
FNH’s new ultralight machine gun