February 22, 2019 Newsletter by Jeff Pittman
Illinois mass shooting
You’ve heard about the man who opened fire and killed five co-workers at an Aurora, IL, (Chicago) factory. It turns out that the perpetrator was a prohibited person with six reported arrests (but no reported convictions) over the years in Aurora and a 1995 felony conviction for aggravated assault in Mississippi. The employer’s background check didn’t reveal that felony conviction. He was then erroneously issued an Illinois firearm owner’s identification (FOID) card (required for gun possession in Illinois) after passing an initial background check, which also did not find his Mississippi felony. Then when he applied for a CCW permit and underwent a more rigorous background check that uses digital fingerprinting, his Mississippi conviction was found and his FOID card was revoked, meaning he could no longer legally possess a gun under Illinois law. (But my understanding is that under federal law he was already a prohibited person anywhere in the nation, regardless of his Illinois FOID status.) He then took his illegally-possessed gun (a semiauto pistol) to work, where he was scheduled to be terminated, and killed 5 co-workers and wounded a 6th before police showed up, and then he shot and wounded 5 police officers, for whom he was apparently waiting. Police later killed him in a gun battle.
We will only note the obvious:
- A homicidal felon was able to get a gun, and even a FOID card, AFTER passing multiple background checks. When he failed the third check, no one confiscated his gun or arrested him for being a felon in possession, or for feloniously attempting the purchase, or for feloniously lying on the form.
- Apparently no potential victims were armed and able to defend themselves.
- The Henry Pratt Company in Aurora, where the massacre occurred, is a “gun free” zone and reportedly clearly displays a “no guns” sign on its front door.
- The event ended after good guys with guns showed up.
- Reports indicate the massacrist was armed and on the loose for around 90 minutes after he initiated the shootings.
The left responded by immediately calling for “universal background checks” and a ban on “assault weapons,” neither of which were relevant in this case. Also last week, Democrats in Washington killed a bill requiring reporting to ICE illegal aliens illegally attempting to buy guns.
The massacre didn’t get a lot of high-profile media attention because Illinois already has all the gun laws the left clamors for. Continue Reading