U.S. v. Rahimi updates.
- Old gun controls that were constitutionally repealed are not precedents for modern gun control
- Second Amendment Roundup: Fusillade of Amicus Briefs Filed in Rahimi
Duncan v. Bonta update.
- Last month, U.S. District Court Judge Roger Benitez ruled for the second time in Duncan v. Bonta that California’s “high capacity” magazine ban is unconstitutional. The first time, he did so with the Heller precedent. This time, the ruling also took into account the Bruen decision. Benitez issued an injunction blocking enforcement of the law, but stayed it pending the state’s appeal to the Ninth Circuit. The Ninth Circuit took the case and in a clear double standard violated its own rules in order to have the case heard by exactly the same en banc judges who overturned Benitez’s first ruling against the ban. This week, the Ninth stayed Benitez’s latest injunction against the ban while waiting to hear the case again.
Missouri has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to allow enforcement of a state law that would ban its police officers from enforcing federal gun laws.
Florida weighs in on pistol stabilizing braces. We see nothing in the Constitution indicating that braced pistols are somehow not covered by the Second Amendment’s prohibition of government infringement.
In Defense Distributed v. Platkin, U.S. District Court Judge Michael A. Shipp of New Jersey ruled that computer code that lets someone produce firearms is not protected speech under the First Amendment and dismissed the lawsuit that Defense Distributed and the SAF brought against New Jersey’s law banning the sharing of gun CAD files. I suspect an overturn on appeal.
In NAGR v. Garland, U.S. District Court Judge Reed O’Connor of Texas has issued a preliminary injunction blocking the ATF from enforcing its redefinition of forced reset triggers as machine guns against NAGR, its members, Rare Breed Triggers and its customers.
In Kipke v. Moore, U.S. District Judge George L. Russell of Maryland has struck down two of that state’s statutes restricting areas in which guns may be carried, even with a permit, holding the statutes to be “unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.”
We take this opportunity to note that the Second Amendment has no limiting adjectives of “arms” such as “common use,” “self defense,” “reasonable,” “civilian,” “sporting,” or whatever.
The federal gun charges against Hunter Biden have been dropped. I told you so.
Joe Biden facilitated the Hamas massacre – and worse – of Israelis and Americans. He left $7 billion worth of weapons and equipment in the wake of the ill-fated Afghanistan withdrawal that were scooped up by the Taliban, and some of which went to Hamas. He also freed Viktor Bout, a convicted international arms smuggler from Russia, also known as “The Merchant of Death.”
Khaled Meshaal, Hamas’ leader from 2004 to 2017, urged the Islamic world participate today, 10/13, saying, “To all scholars who teach jihad … to all who teach and learn, this is a moment for the application [of jihad].” I’ll tell you what, Bubba; come on down to this small town. Nobody even notices a flock of buzzards around here.
Meanwhile President Biden has let in 4 million illegal aliens in the last 2 years, facilitating a war here.
Department of Brilliance
NYPD reported a sharp drop in murders and shootings over the summer months compared to last year, after flooding violence prone areas with thousands of extra officers on foot during overnight shifts. Well, duh.
Across the country in Portland, Oregon, the city’s Safety Commissioner has asked residents to not call 911, since it’s overwhelmed with progressives’ drug overdose calls in the wake of the passage of Measure 110, which decriminalized the possession of drugs and reduced many felonies to misdemeanors. Oh well.
And down in Los Angeles, the LAPD has hired illegal immigrant officers who are federally prohibited from owning guns. You can’t make this up.
John Lott and Carlisle E. Moody have authored a paper examining the effect of the Lautenberg Amendment prohibition on the possession of firearms by people subject to a domestic violence restraining order. The relevant statute is 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8).
“We find that 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8) has no statistically significant beneficial impact on domestic murder, domestic femicide, domestic gun murder, or domestic gun femicide.”
- The Armed Citizen
- Two wanted after Jackson home invasion
- Manual of arms
- Closing the barn door… Israel Loosens Gun Laws After Unprecedented Terror Attack
- Israel’s gun control policies worsened the death toll
- The war in Israel illustrates the answer to the illegitimate question of why anyone needs a black rifle, a machine gun, or a large capacity magazine. If somebody’s gonna die, it might as well not be me.
- Actual headline: “Chattanooga Dad Gunned Down by Thug Who’d Been Arrested 66 Times” (And he never served over 6 months in jail.) Boy do I have an answer for this, and I’ll even buy the bullets.
- Bad Dogs. Be prepared.
The Only Ones
Two veteran Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies were seriously injured Tuesday when a fire broke out inside a trailer serving as a mobile shooting range north of Los Angeles while they were shooting for qualification. The origin of the fire was not known at the time of this report though one might speculate that the fire resulted from ignition a few decades of unburned powder granules accumulated in the facility.
On April 14, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln signed a piece of legislation authorizing a government agency that would gain its fame for protecting the President of the United States – the Secret Service. That same evening, he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth while watching “Our American Cousin” in Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C.
Tactics & Stuff
- Reading. Just do it. Yes, that is a tactic.
- Open carry. Do it as you wish. Memphis Police are looking for a man accused of stealing a gun off another man’s holster while he was standing in line at a store.
- The Desantis Superfly
- AR-15 barrel info
- Dealing with a charging knife attacker
- Believe the gunshots
“All thanks to a woman who had noticed a strange car driving around in the neighborhood.”
Whenever I see the rare strange vehicle or suspicious person hanging around, I make it a point to very obviously write down the description and tag number in a note pad.
Smith & Wesson hosted a grand opening of its new $125 million Maryville, Tennessee headquarters after moving from its longtime home in Massachusetts. We hear that there were around 5,000 gun guys in attendance, along with about a dozen anti-gun protestors. 69-year-old Jerry Miculek set two new world records there, drawing from the surrender position and shooting a 6-plate rack for time. 9mm – 2.01 seconds, and revolver – 1.88 seconds.
Southwick Associates does a quarterly Hunter/Shooter market survey. You can participate here.
Liberty Safe update: You can change your master code.
Fourteen Jones County, MS, fire departments plus six other departments responded to a massive warehouse fire involving kerosene, tannerite, propane, fertilizer, and ammunition.
The U.S. is running out of ammo to support both the Ukraine and Israel. Thanks, Democrats.
Banking for cops. I’m not endorsing, just passing it on.
- H.E.R.O Mortgage Loan1 for first time home buyers offering 100% financing or the purchase price or appraised value, whichever is less
- End of Watch Debt Forgiveness Benefit2 covering eligible member loans at the credit union up to $850,000
- 10-Eight Loan2 to help you pay for your first responder equipment
- Low Profile Debit & Credit Cards to protect your identity
- Digital Banking for all your banking needs right from your phone or computer
- An all new Virtual Branch letting you visit a branch from anywhere you are
Weatherby has added a 3″ .410 bore version to its Orion SxS shotgun line.
- The new offering is a true .410 receiver and is scaled down from the new 20 ga. Mechanical double trigger. The front trigger fires the right barrel, and the rear trigger fires the left barrel. Ambidextrous tang safety, straight English stock, and 5 extended choke tubes (SK, IC, Mod, IM, Full) utilizing the Turkish Yildiz choke system, which probably indicates who actually makes it. 6.1 lbs. $1100.
Weatherby will now chamber 300 PRC, 7mm PRC, and 28 Nosler in several Mark V platforms, including the Accumark, Backcountry 2.0 series, and Apex.
Federal Premium has a new 12-gauge, 2¾-inch magnum buckshot load: 16-pellets of No. 1 Buck copper-plated, buffered lead shot at 1,325 fps. # P154 1B